10/27/1947 is the date on this photo (from Idaho Statesman). However it can easily be dated by what is there, and what is not yet there.  We had a circus in 1945 or 46 in August — and it occupied the large area where the ball field shows on here with the circus midway stretching south as indicated.  Before the circus event all of this ball field area was bare ground/salt grass, not used for anything. In this photo you can see two shed buildings thrown up for the fair.  (This area now occupied by senior housing complex.) You can see one of the two packing houses that bracketed Black Bridge road at the railroad in the 30s.  (I seem to remember Palumbo on one, but am not sure.) In town was a tiny real estate office.  One day, very shortly after WWII, a one armed vet showed up. Bought or rented a tiny plot on east side of Plymouth Ave, and proceeded to build himself an office.  It was a tiny one, maybe 6 x 8′ or 8 x 10′ — just big enough for a desk for him to sit behind, room for a couple of chairs in front of it.  In my mind’s eye I can see him clearly as if yesterday. His left arm was gone to the shoulder so there was not much stub to help.  If you know anything about hammering a nail, then you know it takes something to hold it while you smack it with a hammer.  Nothing in his case, so every single nail had to be some work-around.  Of course work-arounds must also be done when you must climb a ladder, carry a board, and want to nail it onto another! We, of course, offered help. He cheerily declined, saying, what could be better advertising?  The longer it took him, the better the advertising!  He succeeded while the entire community cheered on amused and amazed by his pluck!  And, his work-arounds to hold things.  Yes, amazingly enough, it can be done — he did it!   His efforts were the talk of the town.  At the time, the entire block he was building on was just bare ground — his was the last structure going out of town to the north on east side of road.  Afterward that was all built up, and I cannot remember anything further on it. The fairgrounds turned into ball field was neat.  There were a New Plymouth “league” of 7-8 teams. Most fielded by merchants who supported them. Others were church youth activities. I played at least once/week for a season that lasted maybe 10-12 games from late June to end of August.  The season always stopped before school began.  All the LDS wards fielded a team for their areas.  If we had no locals to play, then we would play wards in other towns.  But, mostly time and cost of gas nixed doing that.  We did play Letha Ward, just east of Falk up on the bench.  The long summer days gave us plenty of light to finish games, until August, then it got iffy.  The city eventually put lights up at the ball field — well sort of an attempt, were never big or enough, and they always wanted us to pay for the electricity — but was so much resistance that they stopped doing lights at all.  Many times, teams would show up short a man or two. If we had an extra, then one of us would play with them. I only did this one summer, then I got so busy with baler and combine I couldn’t spare the time.

Leave a Reply